Sunday, March 6, 2011

How to build your own air spade for around $50

My air spade turned out to be about 5 1/2’ long. I find it useful for most applications, but a bit long for tight quarters like under low branches. I keep meaning to build myself a shorter air spade but have not gotten around to it. For $50 bucks it is no big deal

Note that the pictures are not to scale they are just to show what things look like.
Note that pipe lengths are approximate.

Parts:

A. One ¾” female npt air coupler I bought mine from the place that rents me the compressor. If you can’t find one buy one on line. Aprx. $4






B. One steel pipe ¾” About 2’ Long. Npt threaded both ends. Aprx. $8







C. One ball valve. If you can find one that has a ¾” to ½” npt thread reduction then you don’t need the reducer. Aprx $14





D. One Steel pipe ½” about 3’ long. Npt threaded both ends. Aprx. $8





E. One ¾” to ½” npt reducer . $2.50








F. One thin ½” npt nut. Aprx 50 cents. No picture.


G. One round electrical ceiling box cover. I have heard people use a funnel here but this works well for me and I could not find a funnel I could attach.You will have to remove the center knock out. Aprx. $2.50




H. One “supersonic” nozzle.I.e. a brass hose barb, just a little smaller diameter then the ½” pipe. These are cheap so you can experiment with
different sizes. Buy a couple of these, they do wear out. Aprx. $2.00




Pipe wrap. The foam insulating stuff
that you put on hot water pipes. Aprx. $2.00
Duct tape and Teflon tape. Aprx. $1.00s worth.

Total cost about. $50

I have not included the price of the hose here as I rent it along with the tow behind diesel compressor. It costs me about $90 per day. If you don’t own the compressor then there is no point in buying the hose, and even a used compressor in good condition will run you several thousand dollars.

Assemble as seen below. Use the teflon tape on the threads and cover the pipe wrap with duct tape. Red Green eat your hart out. If you want to get fancy, instead of the pipe insulation and duct tape you can go to a good bike shop and get some of those wraps with Velcro covers that you see on kid’s bikes. You will need insulation for comfort and protection from the heat build up.

She isn’t pretty but works great.
See how this works on this video.
Compare it to the real thing.
Maybe it does not dig quite as fast as the real deal but I have used both and I can’t tell the difference.

If you build one have fun and let me know how it turns out. Also if you come up with anything better then the electrical cover let me know that as well.

Oh I almost forgot. Build and use your air spade at your own risk. I can’t be responsible if you use shoddy materials or put it together wrong. Mine is tough as nails and takes a constant 150psi with no trouble. Always wear appropriate safety gear when using an air spade.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome awesomeness. I am getting into the bamboo business and would much rather remove plants with an airspade than a chain saw or shovels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Rock!!! We just bought a 375 cfm, is that the size size you use? If so my honey do list is going to explode 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooper Freer specializes in air compressor service, installation, maintenance of air tools and air compressors. Established for over 43 years, Copper Freer is an independent air house with clients as far afield Leicester, Peterborough, Corby, Northampton, Nottingham, Derby, UK, Milton Keynes, Kettering, Coventry, and Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete